Remember Prodigy? The precursor to America Online was clunky, silly and and slow – and captivated millions. Here’s a look back, from CED Magazine.
That’s what my mom used to tell us circa 1976 as my brother and I collapsed into a couch and squinted at a TV screen displaying, if memory serves, “Welcome Back, Kotter” or something of its ilk. The difference between now and then, as this column explains: Today you probably won’t even find two siblings in the same room watching television. According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, 68 percent of U.S. kids have their own TV set in their own room. (The other 32 percent are probably doing something horrible like playing outside.) My editorial aside: This is no organic, self-generating development. It’s actually very much in the economic interests of the TV biz to splinter audiences into lotsa little demographic vectors that can be packaged and sold to advertisers. Unfortunately, the price we pay is a generation of isolated little kids. I’m pretty certain Mr. Woodman (he was the principal in “Kotter”) would disapprove.
There are interesting stories tucked away in every nook and cranny of every obscure business. ThisÂ piece I wrote for Multichannel News testifies to that. It also involved a real-live news scoop, proving that sometimes if you nose around a bit you can’t help but find out something nobody else has reported. (In this case the pending sale of a company.)
Sort of a think piece on behind-the-scenes trends within a little-covered industry sector. Published by Multichannel News.
Dick Tracy. Where would we be without him? Here’s an ode to the enduring influence of a comic book figure with real-life vision .pdf example.